Sunday, May 15, 2011

For Samford


Thank you for providing the means for me to meet the people who have so greatly impacted my life and my identity. Thank you for letting me stay for a while and learn more about the World and the Kingdom and where I fit into all of it. Thank you for providing me with the people I care about most and the best community, far better than anything I could have dreamed of. You will always have a special place in my heart as the setting for the year my life drastically transformed and will now never look the same. Thank you Samford. I will miss you but do not worry, I will be back to visit, too much of my heart lies with you in Birmingham! 

Secluded Island                                                                         
By Mackenzie Kross  

Standing on the shore, soaking in the vast ocean,
Wanting to swim, wanting to fly, needing a boat
I look to my right and I am not alone.

Sitting on the shore, soaking in the vast ocean
Sharing the desire to swim, discussing what it would be like to fly,
I look to my right and we are not alone.

Gathering on the shore, soaking in the vast ocean
Called to swim, lifted up in order to fly,
Community. Fellowship. Simply being.

Diving in, cold piercing my skin, waves crashing around
The sea is too strong; I am unable to conquer it.
The soft reminders in the form of whispered prayers
Give me the spirit to persevere.

The vastness of the ocean seems bleak.
But I know I am never alone.
My savior took on many forms
He is my safety boat, ever beside me, giving me his strength

The island prepared me for this journey.
It allowed for souls to mingle in the presence of His spirit.
In the form of laughter, conversation and adventure
Christ equipped me.

When leaving seems wrong, they remind me that it’s right.
When the waves get too high, their prayers provide a raft.
When sharks and beast encircle
When light is hidden in the darkness
Their spirits revive me. Their love reminds me:

The love of a savior,
Beaten, bloodied, displayed and shamed
For me He died, for Him I live.

The faces that surround me,
The voices that calm me,
The hearts that love me,
The souls who know me.

 What will come of this journey?
I am but a mist following my Creator.  
A captive, set free therefore, I must fly.

The island is good,
Yet I must depart.
A glimpse of heaven,
Joy through fellowship.

As I face the unknown of the bitter raging waters,
I glance back at the lighthouse
A ray of friendship, pure and simple
Brightening the path before me.

This ray, so sweet, so intimate, so divine!
Sent to me by my Father, a precious treasure in this fallen world.
On the island, I found many members of Christ’s body.

Now I must swim.
With a heavy heart, but an obedient spirit,
I tread towards the goal set before me
Knowing one day to enter into eternal glory!  

No comments:

Post a Comment